Whenever I realize that winters are approaching, I shiver even if it isn’t cold. If you’re a lawn owner like me, you might have the same reaction about winters. One of the main reasons behind this is how damaging winter is for our lawn equipment if we aren’t careful. We love our equipment and we don’t want to lose them, but even the best sprinklers and the best hoses for winter use are no exceptions to this!
However, this does not mean that there is no solution to it. Of course, the best solution is to be careful. But you can also be a little more selective about what equipment you go for. Naturally, some models are more suited for winter use, and can tolerate the winters a little better. So, if that’s something that you’re looking for, you’ve come to the right place!
In today’s article here at Turf Mechanic, we are going to be looking at the best hoses for winter use. As we remarked earlier, we are lawn owners ourselves. So, we understand how hard it is for you to actually ensure the safety of your hoses! However, don’t worry, because Turf Mechanic brings to you a list of the best hoses for winter use!
Why do Hoses Get damaged in winter?
One of the best questions you can ask at this point is why hoses get damaged in winter. Well, you might have often noticed that if you leave a hose out in the winter without any attention, it might get damaged. There can actually be a lot of reasons behind this.
However, the most common reason by far is that the water inside it freezes. In case you didn’t know, when water freezes, the size of ice is actually larger than the size of water (it’s science!) and so, it exerts pressure on your hose from the inside, which ultimately results in damage.
So, it is always recommended that you actually ensure that there’s no water inside your hose when you keep it away for the winters. This process is called “winterization” by us technical people. So, if winters are coming up, you want to take the water out of your hose and store it properly. This would help you keep the hose like new up till next year!
What makes a hose good for winter use?
You might also be wondering what actually makes some hoses better for winter use. After all, what exactly sets these hoses apart from other regular ones? Well, that’s a really good question, and we’d love to answer it for you before moving on to discussing the best hoses for winter use out there.
So, the main things that puts a hose in the list of the best hoses for winter use are as follows:
- Temperature Control: In case you did not know, some hoses actually offer you with a temperature control. These hoses are specially designed to withstand winters, and they usually do a great job at it! So, these hoses are naturally a great choice for winter use, because they have been made for that purpose!
- Expandable hoses: Some hoses that are quite expandable also make a good choice. This is owing to the fact that they aren’t going to easily get damaged just because of the pressure of the ice. So, some of these hoses have also made it into today’s list of the best hoses for winter use.
- Pressure tolerant: Some hoses, again, are a lot more pressure tolerant than other hoses. They have been designed for enduring really high pressures from the inside, in order to ensure their heavy duty nature. However, this also makes them a lot more resistant to the damage that ice might cause inside them, making them a great choice if you’re looking for a good winter hose.
What are the best hoses for winter use?
Now, let us finally take a look at the best hoses for winter use out there. Once you start looking for the right hoses for winter use, you might find quite a few models that claim to be so. However, you’ll soon find out that a lot of these models aren’t actually worth going for because they are almost as prone to damage as just any other hose and are only available at a significantly higher price.
However, we here at Turf Mechanic have done the research. We have actually found out the models that can successfully endure the harsh winter and live through it. So, we really hope that you’d be able to find your best hoses for winter use in our list.
Let’s begin today’s article with the PIRIT PWL-03-12 Heated Hose! As you can guess by its name, this model is one of those that actually gets heated on the inside. This makes this hose a great choice for winters even if the temperatures are much below the freezing point in your place.
- Once again, this hose is actually connected to a thermostat that ensures that the temperature inside doesn’t get too low. The hose starts to heat up when the temperature is under 45 degrees F and it stops when the temperature is above 50 degrees F. This actually stops the hose from taking too much pressure and conserves energy at the same time!
- Again, this model is also made of quality materials so that it lasts for a long time. With MET and FDA approved materials, you’re looking at a high level of durability for your hose.
- Even so, it still comes with a one year warranty, making this hose a really great choice to go with if you’re looking for a hose that you can freely use in your lawn during the winter without having to worry about damaging it.
- Finally, the price of the model might be something that you want to take a look at. Well, it admittedly is a little more expensive than the average hose. However, the presence of a thermostat actually justifies that price that you’re paying for it. Also, this model is actually much cheaper than other similar models- so, this model is actually a great choice even from an economic perspective!
Next in line is the Worth Home and Contractor Approved Garden Hose.
This model is recommended owing to the fact that it’s one of those heavy duty durable models that’s designed to take a lot more pressure than regular models.
- Let’s start with the materials. This model actually uses high quality materials with solid brass fittings. This gives this model the durability and strength that it needs to work throughout the winter without being damaged. Quoting the product on Amazon, it can stand up to -20 degree Centigrade of temperature without getting damaged!
- This model is also made for twice the regular amount of pressure, which means that in any case the water actually comes with a greater pressure at any point, your hose would still be safe.
- The Anti Kink Technology that this model boasts of also adds to its durability as well as ease of storing. You can actually store it however you want to without being afraid of damaging it too easily.
- Another awesome thing about the good quality materials that have been used in this model is that they make it free from rusting and leaking. Gone are the days when you had to be afraid of your hose getting damaged easily. You can actually relax and focus on your lawn if you go with this one.
The IEKA Expandable Garden Hose takes the third place in this list owing to the fact that it truly is a great choice among the Garden Hoses for winter use.
If stretch models are what you prefer, this model is by far one of the best models! So, that’s something you might want to keep in mind!
- As I just remarked, this model boasts of a large amount of stretchability. This “Magic Stretchability” works in a pretty different way for this model, too! The water actually stretches the model, so you don’t have to do any of the work. The model stretches to up to three times it’s original size, and then retracts automatically too! So, this makes this model pretty hassle free on your part!
- Now, one of the main things that I was worried about this model was what if it explodes. However, that’s something that you don’t have to be worried with, because the model has that covered too! It has been specially designed to actually be safe around you even if something goes wrong. You might want to do a bit on the specifications of the safety features if you’re interested.
- Finally, since this model actually doesn’t always take up all the space it actually covers when in use, it is easy to store. When it comes to keeping it away for future use, it’s not going to take up too much space, and that makes it a great choice.
Next in line is the Crenova 100ft Garden Hose Expandable Garden Hose.
With a double latex core and solid brass connector, this hose provides you with the durability that you’re looking for if you want your hose to work in winter.
- This hose also extends to thrice its original size (from 33 feet to 100 feet) when it’s in use and it retracts back to its original size once you’re done using it. This makes this model both easy to use and easy to story. It also makes this model a lot more hassle free, which you’re going to love if you’re as lazy as me!
- Again this model also comes with a 7 function metal spray nozzle. This gives this model an edge because you really don’t have to look for a different nozzle anymore. And this nozzle actually fits the model perfectly, so you don’t have to spend time finding the right nozzle either, making it a great choice.
- Finally, as usual, let us consider the economic perspective. This model is a great choice from this perspective as well. While it does seem a little expensive initially, you must keep in mind what it’s offering you with. It offers you a really high quality and a high level of comfort when it comes to using it. Again, this model also comes with a 7 function metal spray nozzle, which has a price of its own. So, this model is actually a great choice from the economic standpoint as well.
How to choose the right model for yourself
Well, so here’s the list that we have come up with after quite a bit of research. However, even so, you might still be wondering which model among these is the best for you. Don’t worry, Turf Mechanic is going to help you figure that out as well!
The first thing you need to do is actually think of your exact situation. You need to know what you’re going to use it for, and what kind of a model would be right for you. In other words, you need to know what your needs are. And that’s going to help you figure out what exactly you’re looking for.
And once you know what you’re looking for, it becomes really simple to find the right model. All you have to do is judge every model accordingly and find the one that suits you the best.
Keep in mind: The Best Model for you isn’t necessarily the best selling one out there. It’s the one that serves all your needs at the price that seems the most reasonable to you.
See this article for my guide to buying a great garden hose.
Do you have a vegetable garden too?
Well, it might so happen that you have a vegetable garden too. Alternatively, you might be planning to make one really soon. Well, keep in mind that watering your plants properly is one of the most important parts when it comes to a vegetable garden.
And in this case, Soaker Hoses actually are one of the best choices for you to go with. However, there are just so many soaker hoses available out there that it might still be a little hard to choose the right one. Well, here’s our article on The Best Soaker Hoses for your Vegetable Garden!
A good garden needs a lot of work, doesn’t it? Well, it often feels like the winters are just there to make our lives as lawn-owners harder! However, there’s little we can do but brace for the impact!
Anyhow, in today’s article, we checked out the best hoses for winter use that you might want to go for. We really hope that you liked the models that we chose. We already explained the main points we chose them based on, and we encourage you to take a look at these points in every model you consider.
Turf Mechanic is here for you!
We have finally reached the end of today’s article! Well, we would like to thank you from the core of our heart for being here with us till the very end and for giving us your valuable time. It is hoped that you found something that you would be able to actually implement in real to make your lawn as beautiful as you want it to be.
We understand you’re working really hard with your lawn, and we want you to know that we are here for you. So, if you have any queries about today’s article or about anything related to lawns in general, please do not hesitate in reaching out to us- we here at Turf Mechanic are here for you and we’re always eager to hear from you!
Well, knowing about your lawn is a never ending process. So, Turf Mechanic tries to bring to you the information that you might actually be able to put to use in your lawn on a pretty daily basis. After all, with the right knowledge, you can make it more beautiful with less work! So, here are a few other articles on our site that we would like to recommend for you to read:
- Our Favorite 300 ft Hose Reels.
- The 3 best rated 250 ft Garden Hoses.
- The 3 best rated 100 ft Hose Reel Carts.
- How to Stop a Hose From Kinking?
- How Can I Increase My Outdoor Water Pressure?
Finally, we would like to thank you once again for reading our article till the very end. We thank you for your time and we really hope to see you again on our upcoming articles as well. In the meanwhile, you might want to check out the articles we just recommended. Until we meet again on another article, Turf Mechanics takes your leave!